purpose of our business
Our business is w/holism.
We have co-developed a w/holistic theory (Biomatrix Theory) and methodology (Biomatrix Change Methodology) and continue to develop both.
We apply the theory and methodology to facilitate the
- (re)design and transformation of currently unsustainable economic, political and cultural systems
- (dis)solving of complex problems within and between systems
- sense making, integrating and synergizing of fragmented bodies of knowledge.
We apply the theory and methodology by providing the generic context which the stakeholders fill with content, such as the
- multi-dimensional and multi-level frameworks that prompt stakeholders of a system or issue to contribute their unique ideas and perspectives (e.g. knowledge about the system, its problems and solutions) and assign them relevance
- organizational framework and principles that guide stakeholders to integrate their ideas into a coherent design and implement it
- generic organising principles that allow systems to design a mutually beneficial interaction.
Note of explanation:
We are frequently involved in conversations like the following:
Q: Does w/holism have all the answers?
A: No, of course not! None of us has! However, all stakeholders of a system TOGETHER have them, provided that they integrate them into a coherent whole design of the system.
Q: How do we bring together the diverse stakeholder perspectives on problems, their different approaches to solve them and the fragmented bits of knowledge about the many different issues of concern?
A: Through w/holism! More specifically, through frameworks, organizing principles and a change methodology derived from a theory of w/holism (i.e. Biomatrix Theory). These are the same for all systems (e.g. for any business organization or industry).
They can be regarded as a coherent set of questions that describes the context of every system, which the stakeholders of the system answer from their perspective. The answers are a collection of ideas about what the system is / should be.
If the stakeholders sift and integrate those ideas according to the generic principles of how systems are organized and change, they can COLLECTIVELY redesign the system and transform it by implementing their part of the whole design.
Thus w/holism provides a generic context for all inquiries, while the specific answers by the stakeholders of the system or issue of inquiry provide the inquiry specific content.
Hence our business is also contextualization through w/holism.
Our vision is that a w/holistic (r)evolution sweeps through all societies and transforms their cultural, economic and political system so that they are sustainable, serve all stakeholders and co-produce desirable societal development and minimal negative impacts on nature….and that Biomatrix Theory and Biomatrix Change Methodology contribute to this.
Note of explanation:
We use the word (r)evolution in order to refer to both words: revolution and evolution.
- Revolution means revolving to a previous place or state. In terms of the knowledge needed for the future, this is indeed necessary. We used to have knowledge that we have lost in the course of industrialization, which encouraged reductionist and rational thinking. Thereby we have lost connective thinking (e.g. connection between nature and society; connection between the different areas of our life; reconnection of persons with themselves and their source; connection between the “head, heart and gut”, and so on). This knowledge needs to be revisited, reclaimed and integrated into our worldview. Without it, humanity may not survive as a species.
The term revolution also has a political connotation, one of sweeping away an old order. (We obviously speak of a revolution of the mind, not a war in physical reality! After all we have a w/holistic theory and methodology for transforming systems peacefully!)
The current order of society is grounded in reductionist thinking. This gives rise to an ethos of systems in isolation (e.g. every system for and by itself), which co-produces humanity’s complex problems and unsustainable social (i.e. economic, cultural and political) systems. A new order would balance the interest of the individual system with that of others within a containing whole. This requires a (r)evolution in thinking amongst decision-makers.
- Evolution implies more than what was before; that a widespread acceptance of w/holism and its integration with and contextualisation of reductionist thinking, will advance humanity. It will think differently about itself, about nature and its interaction with it and will therefore create a different and more sustainable social order.
Our purpose is to promote w/holism and co-produce a more sustainable world through providing
- a w/holistic theory and methodology
- education programmes that teach and apply them
- programmes that allow the stakeholders of a system to COLLECTIVELY change their systems according to w/holistic aims and ethos.
W/Holism implies a generic ethos which includes:
- balanced exchange between systems (i.e. service to self and others within the containing whole)
- fair benefit for all stakeholders of a system
- optimization of wholes not parts
- coordinated self-governance
- minimizing of negative impacts
A w/holistic system transformation implies that the system begins to function according to this ethos.
business units of the biomatrix organization
The Biomatrix Organization has evolved three business units:
BiomatrixWeb is concerned with research and development. It has developed and produced the Biomatrix Design Courses , Biomatrix Transformation Programmes and the Biomatrix Jamming and Conferencing Programme.
It continues with the further research and development of Biomatrix Theory and Methodology (such as the Curriculum for Solving the Problems of the World which is currently in production).
It is also involved in continuous exchange with peers concerning theoretical and methodological debate, research and development.
biomatrix school for sustainable system design
The Biomatrix School for Sustainable System Design offers self-managed online courses on social system (re)design and complex problem (dis)solving.
Its aim is to educate senior decision-makers, managers and leaders of economic, political and cultural systems and to develop Biomatrix Consultants.
It also seeks to form education partnerships for delivering the courses in different ways and contexts.
The Biomatrix Consultancy is concerned with delivering the Biomatrix System Transformation Programmes and the Biomatrix Jamming and Conferencing Programmes .
- The Biomatrix System Transformation Programmes are education-driven and client-managed programmes that ensure a w/holistic transformation of a client entity or activity system.
In the case of an entity system (e.g. a business, government, non-government, or public / private partnership organization), the programme transforms it into a sustainable learning organization which is structured as a three-dimensional matrix.
In the case of an activity system (e.g. a personal, organizational or governance function, or an industry), the programme transforms it into a sustainable, coordinated and continuing value / supply chain, the parts of which align in serving an overarching aim.
- The Biomatrix Jamming and Conferencing Programme facilitates widespread stakeholder involvement. It is therefore useful for public policy development and industry transformation.
The online jamming captures stakeholder information around a specific system or issue, such as knowledge about it, its problems and solutions for it.
The conferencing facilitates the integration of the data captured during jamming into a design (or alternative designs) for the system or issue under investigation.